This year Clear Air Day is taking place on Thursday 17th June 2021. The theme for the campaign this year is ‘protect our children’s health from air pollution. ’The day aims to bring together communities, businesses, schools, and the health sector to encourage people to think about the impact of air pollution and how this affects our health.
This year in Leicester…
We will be conducting road closures outside of five schools to use this as an opportunity to learn about the importance of Walking & Cycling to school and the positive impact this has on children’s health and the environment.
Take part on Clean Air Day with 5 top tips:
- Hold an active travel day at your school; encourage teachers, school staff, and pupils to travel to school by wheeling or walking.
- Too far to walk? Try a Park and Stride, drive part of the way, and walk the rest.
- Plan a walking or cycling route to school that uses the quieter roads to limit your exposure to harmful air pollutants.
- When you have to drive, turn off your engine when your vehicle is stationary, and it is safe to do so.
- Save energy – Switch off lights, devices, and even switching plugs off at the wall when not in use, will help cut back the amount of electricity we use. Electricity is often made in power stations that burn fossil fuels.
Free resources and websites to help you plan your Clean Air Day:
Pre-driver Days are back for 2022! 9th August 2022 15th August 2022 17th October 2022 18th October 2022 @ Mallory Park Book through Eventbrite: eventbrite.co.uk/e/pre-driver-d… For further information please visit: tjunction.org.uk
For the next few hours are down at Glenfield Hospital with @SustransEMids 🚴♀️ and @leicspolice🚓. Come down and say hello and get a FREE bike checkup and a FREE bike marking. We Look forward to seeing you!🚲🚨
Remember, the best way to plan journeys by cycle, bike-share, walking and bus within Leicester and Leicestershire is the Choose How You Move Journey Planner. Try it out at choosehowyoumove.co.uk/journeyplanner, or search "Choose How You Move" in your app store!
Don't forget to send a photograph of yourself holding one of the pledge cards available at cleanairday.org.uk Then post it on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #CleanAirDay tag @CHYM to be entered into a prize draw to win a goody bag 🚶♀️🚶🚴♀️🚴♂️
Onto some cycle training! 🚲