This year Clear Air Day is taking place on Thursday 17th June 2021. The theme for the campaign this year is ‘protect our children’s health from air pollution. ’The day aims to bring together communities, businesses, schools, and the health sector to encourage people to think about the impact of air pollution and how this affects our health.
This year in Leicester…
We will be conducting road closures outside of five schools to use this as an opportunity to learn about the importance of Walking & Cycling to school and the positive impact this has on children’s health and the environment.
Take part on Clean Air Day with 5 top tips:
- Hold an active travel day at your school; encourage teachers, school staff, and pupils to travel to school by wheeling or walking.
- Too far to walk? Try a Park and Stride, drive part of the way, and walk the rest.
- Plan a walking or cycling route to school that uses the quieter roads to limit your exposure to harmful air pollutants.
- When you have to drive, turn off your engine when your vehicle is stationary, and it is safe to do so.
- Save energy – Switch off lights, devices, and even switching plugs off at the wall when not in use, will help cut back the amount of electricity we use. Electricity is often made in power stations that burn fossil fuels.
Free resources and websites to help you plan your Clean Air Day:
Lots of cycling fun at St Thomas More Catholic Academy 🚲🎉
Give the car a day off and take one of our zero-emission, electric Park and Ride services from Enderby, Birstall or Meynell’s Gorse to the city centre this #CleanAirDay 🚌 🚏 Find out more here ➡️ choosehowyoumove.co.uk/park-ride/
Lots of great chalk art from Herrick Primary School 🌍🌎🌏🎨 #CleanAirDay