Accessibility statement for the Choose how you move website
This website is run by Leicester City Council and Leicestershire County Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Map location points do not have alternate text.
- Colour contrast on some text and non-text elements is not sufficient.
- Interactive map element may be difficult to navigate using a keyboard as some form controls are missing a ‘label’ tag.
- Some of the older PDFs and Word documents may not meet accessibility standards.
What to do if you cannot access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
Tel: 0116 305 7233
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 10 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact Choose how you move by:
Tel: 0116 305 7233
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Leicester City Council and Leicestershire County Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
- Some of our interactive maps are difficult to navigate using a keyboard because some form controls are missing a ‘label’ tag. For example the walking route map. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (Name, role, value).
- Map location pins don’t have alternate text tags. For example the walking route map.This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text Content).
- Some colour contrast on content may not be sufficient. For example the Park and Ride ‘Every 15 Minutes’ text. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.3 (Contrast (minimum)).
We are working with our developer to correct these issues.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
How we tested this website
This website was last tested on 18 December 2019. We did our own testing using automated and manual testing. We used the Lighthouse accessibility tool to perform an automated report on the website’s accessibility.
We tested a number of pages that included a wide range of functionality including videos, maps and online forms on our main website platform, available at www.choosehowyoumove.co.uk
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We will regularly review the accessibility of this website with automated testing using the Lighthouse and WAVE accessibility tools. We will also conduct manual testing exercises, and review any issues reported by users of the website. We will work with our developer to make improvements.
This statement was prepared on 18 December 2019.
It’s time to get out there and get active! 🏃♀️🚴♂️🚶♀️With the free #BetterPoints app you can earn points through physical activities and those points can be used to claim rewards. Find out here crowd.in/H8dq7l #getoutgetactive #activeleicestershire
Do you enjoy walking or cycling? 🚴♂️🚶♀️ Did you know you could nominate a street to be widened to make more room for these activities? Visit crowd.in/BwQD03 to find out how #widenmypath #activeleicestershire
It doesn't matter how far or fast you go, running is a great way to relieve stress, improve your physical and mental health, get fresh air and enjoy nature #EnjoyOutdoors
We all know exercise is great for your mental and physical wellbeing! 🧘🏋️♂️ but did you know you with the free BetterPoints app you can turn activities into rewards? Find out more at crowd.in/ED5LdB #Betterpoints #activeleicestershire
The weekend is going to be scorchio!! If you are out for cycle or a walk - don't forget that sunscreen folks 🌞🌞🌞 If you need some extra inspiration, plenty of local walking and cycling maps are available on our website: choosehowyoumove.co.uk