This accessibility statement applies to the Choose how you move website run by Leicester City Council and Leicestershire County Council.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Map location points do not have alternate text.
- Colour contrast on some text and non-text elements is not sufficient.
- Some of our PDF and Word documents might not be accessible.
- Interactive map and form elements may be difficult to navigate using a keyboard as some form controls are missing a ‘label’ tag and some ID attributes aren’t unique.
- Some ID attributes on pages aren’t unique.
- Navigation using a keyboard could be improved.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
Tel: 0116 305 7233
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 10 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact Choose how you move by:
Tel: 0116 305 7233
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Leicester City Council and Leicestershire County Council are committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
Map location pins don’t have alternate text tags. For example the walking route and bike shops maps. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text Content).
Some colour contrast on content may not be sufficient. For example the journey planner, and the listing and calendar buttons on the events page. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.3 (Contrast (minimum)).
We are working with our developer to correct these issues.
- Many of our PDFs and Word documents don’t meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
We are working to replace these documents with accessible versions and any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Interactive tools and transactions
It may be difficult to use the journey planner using a keyboard as:
- it doesn’t have associated labels. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 3.2 (Labels or Instructions).
- its ID attributes aren’t unique. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.1 Parsing.
- you sometimes got stuck on an element. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.1.1 Keyboard.
It may be difficult to complete the newsletter subscription forms using a keyboard as
- they have multiple label tags. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 3.3.2 Labels or Instructions.
- the ID attributes aren’t unique as there are 2 forms. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.1 Parsing.
The journey planner and NewZapp subscription forms are built and hosted through third party software and embedded into our website.
We will notify our supplier about these issues but don’t have any control over getting them fixed.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We will regularly review the accessibility of this website with automated testing using the Lighthouse and WAVE accessibility tools. We will also conduct manual testing exercises, and review any issues reported by users of the website. We will work with our developer to make improvements.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This website was last tested on 19 August 2020. We did our own testing using the Lighthouse and WAVE accessibility tools. We also conducted manual testing exercises
We tested a number of pages that included a wide range of functionality including the journey planner, videos, maps and online forms available at www.choosehowyoumove.co.uk.
This statement was prepared on 18 December 2019. It was last reviewed on 12 October 2020.
If you're out and about exploring Leicestershire on bike or foot, don't forget you can download the FREE @BetterPoints app and get rewarded for walking & cycling! Download the free app and start earning points today! choosehowyoumove.betterpoints.uk/page/choose-ho…
Did you know that you can exchange your @BetterPoints rewards for a bike voucher to get your bike fixed if it's in need of some TLC? Outdoor exercise could prove vital for maintaining healthy living during lockdown. Find out more: choosehowyoumove.betterpoints.uk/page/new-vouch…
Not only does cycling have great benefits for our physical health, it can also relieve stress and boost our wellbeing. Find out more and sign up here 👉 choosehowyoumove.betterpoints.uk/page/how-ditch…
Over 2,500 MILES of active and sustainable travel journeys have been tracked to date using the @BetterPoints app! That's a lot of walking & cycling - and a huge amount of emissions avoided.🚶🚴 Download the FREE BetterPoints app and start earning rewards! choosehowyoumove.betterpoints.uk/page/choose-ho…
Did you know that you can be rewarded for walking and cycling your usual journeys to work or school? Download the FREE @BetterPoints app to start earning points, which you can then redeem for high street vouchers or donate to charity! 🛍️🚶🚴♀️ twitter.com/ActiveLeiceste…